SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#61512 - 01/19/05 11:28 AM My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Technics Keyboard friends: Thought you guys might be interested in reading my review of the "MusicPad Pro" which I purchased recently:
http://www.synthzone.com/ubbs/Forum37/HTML/009959.html

I plan to bring it along to the Florida Synthzone Jam http://home.earthlink.net/~eastcoastjam/ and utilize it when performing.

Scott

#61513 - 01/19/05 12:45 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Thanks Scott - great review I look forward to seeing the real thing in April. However, being a non-reader, all these hieroglyphics don't mean much to me

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#61514 - 01/19/05 04:24 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Bob Hendershot Offline

Loc: Johnson City, TN USA
Thanks, Scott. I'm also anxious to see your new gadget. Guess it's time for me to start converting all my Lime lead sheets to .pdf so they will easily copy to the Music Pad. . . I am a slave to lead sheets and can't play without them. I noticed that the thing weighs 6 pounds and is about 10 by 13 inches. I assume that gives about an 8.5 by 11 inch display. I couldn't find that specific display data.

#61515 - 01/19/05 06:42 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Scottyee Offline

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area, CA, US...
Bob,the actual screen dimensions of the MusicPad Pro is: 7-5/16" x 9-3/4". Interestingly enough, even though the screen size is less than 8-1/2 x 11, the actual music display size can actually match (or be viewed larger) than the original sheet music itself. This is possible because you are able to easily CROP out the 'border margins' of the original sheet music. The MusicPad Pro actually includes an automated CROPPING utility which will do this automatically for you. For example, in the pic of the music displayed on the MusicPad Pro at the top of this thread: when switched to PERFORMANCE mode, only the music itself (no borders) are displayed. This makes the music score viewing size equal to or larger than the orginal sheet music itself.

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Hendershot:
I am a slave to lead sheets and can't play without them.

Bob, I understand your feeling because I came from an early background of READING music as well. I had to later go back and learn to play by ear.

Bob, though there's nothing wrong with using lead sheets, here's a secret to playing by ear (right Bill? ). Once you memorize a song's chord progression (start with a simple I-IV-V7 song, you should then be able to more easily pickout the melody by ear. Keep in mind that song melody are built on chords and harmony, and that the notes of the melody are most always one of the notes in the associated chord, or the chord's related scale.

Once you learn your first song by ear using this method, learning subsequent songs this way get easier and easier. Have fun.

Bill, Bob, and all other FL SZ attendees. Looking forward to seeing you guys in April.

- Scott

#61516 - 05/04/05 05:29 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
MeBob Offline

Loc: Clermont,Florida,USA
Scott and Bob....Sue says you guys are a BAD INFLUENCE.
After seeing Bob's MusicPad Pro (demonstrated by Scott) at the East Coast Jam last month, I was convinced that it was 'a must have' for Sue. She is strictly a 'reader' and the MPP would free her from 'books and paper'.
Well anyway, she strongly resisted because of the cost. BUT....I didn't give up.
When I told our friend (who wasn't at the Jam) about it, he had one the next week.
The other day Sue had a chance to actually use his MMP (she entertains at a local Alzheimers facility, where his wife resides) and after 3 weeks of my nagging, she was finally convinced. I'll have to admit that it was a PLOT (don't tell Sue) between our friend and me....and it worked. Sue's MPP should be here next week. I've already started scanning Sue's music, so she'll be ready to start using it the day it arrives.
P.S. to Scott and Bob: I'll contact you seperately about any tricks you guys might use for scanning/file format etc. (don't want to clutter up the forum).....unless others are interested.

Bob and Sue

#61517 - 05/04/05 06:20 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
N9FAL Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Hi--

I am also interested in pursuing this gadget as I a rely on lead sheets and was impressed with Scott's unit @ the Lady Lk. event. I have music spread out all over my condo and I always have to re sort and organize.
Yes, the cost is an issue, but I wonder how long it will be b-4 we see the price subside and/or improvments implemented as this seems to be a new item.
To anyone who has one, is there any area of improvement needed in your opinion for perhaps the next version?

Mark/Orlando, Fl

#61518 - 05/04/05 03:20 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Hello All,

What is this music gadget about? What does it do? How does it work? How/When is it used? How much does it cost? .... I haven't heard of this before and would like to know more about it as I amd sure many other members would.

Could someone please give all details in "plain" english please?

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)

#61519 - 05/04/05 04:13 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
John Barr Offline

Loc: Colchester,Essex,England
Quote:
Originally posted by Audrey Turner:
Hello All,

What is this music gadget about? What does it do? How does it work? How/When is it used? How much does it cost? .... I haven't heard of this before and would like to know more about it as I amd sure many other members would.
Hello Audry,
I should take delivery of the MusicPad Pro tomorrow, I see that you live in Cambridge, I live in Colchester, now the nearest dealer for us in the UK is a company in Holland named Care4music, the Email address that I have been using is bas@care4music.nl
if you just type into Google Care4music you will get all the details and there are also Getting Started Pages and a load of Help files.
All the best,
Johnny.

Could someone please give all details in "plain" english please?

Regards,

Aud (U.K.)

#61520 - 05/04/05 05:16 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Bob Hendershot Offline

Audrey, you can find more details at http://freehandsystems.com/ . The gadget is simply a display device that can contain your entire music library in a relatively small package compared to managing all those books. The memory capacity is only limited by the size of USB Jump Drive that you have. (It also works with the SD card reader that I have been using with my KN7000 files)

Mark, I don't expect to see any significant reduction of the price of the MPP in the near future. It is, after all, a computer with a somewhat limited sales market.

#61521 - 05/04/05 06:52 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
freehandsystem
I have seen this system, I feel it's good, I can see the value for the pro player.
Some buts:
1-The price is not for everyone -- if you are using it to earn dollars, OK. If your budget allow, OK.
2-There are pros who are using a laptop for this purpose -- It is not as friendly for music, but they can be used for many other purposes. I keep only music related/needed programs in my laptop. I can arrange my music in many different ways -- only limited by my imagine.
It is time for me to cut back on my pro work and play at nursing homes -- and at home for my own pleasure --- if I bought one, I would lose my laptop capabilities.

If it was 1990 again, I would buy one.

Just my thoughts, John C.

#61522 - 05/04/05 07:37 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
MeBob Offline

Now look what I've done.....and Sue accused Bob and Scott of being bad influences.....All I did was say Sue is getting one.

If you can overcome John's 1st comment (the $$) it is more than a great gadget, especially if you are a 'reader' like Sue. It will free you of the books and paper. I've experimented trying to do the same thing with a laptop, but am convinced that special s/w would be required to make it load and turn pages as fast as the Music Pad. Besides the display hardware, it's the specialized s/w that makes it work.
As I mentioned in my previous post, Sue wasn't convinced either (even after seeing it at the East Coast Jam) until she used it once for playing at a local Memory Care facility. When we got home we ordered one.
But everyone must decide what's best for themselves.
I promise I'll be good and won't "stir the pot" any more.

#61523 - 05/05/05 09:18 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Posted by mebob
I promise I'll be good and won't "stir the pot" any more. [/B][/QUOTE]

You had better not --ha ha ha ha ha

Love ya, John C.

#61524 - 05/06/05 03:39 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Hiya Johnny B
Please let us know how you get on with Musicpad Pro here in the UK where there are no dealers or distributors - the pro's and the con's - what you do about your existing sheet music collection, either scanning it into the Musicpad Pro or purchasing ready scanned material from that company's subsidiary 'Sunhawk' that deals with that side of things...etc
Best wishes
Roger M

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 05-06-2005).]

[This message has been edited by RMepstead (edited 05-06-2005).]

#61525 - 05/06/05 04:12 PM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
Thank you John from Colchester for your info. I'll check out the site you mention but when you get yours I would still like to know what your opinion of it is.

To the rest of you that tooke the time to answer my many questions, thank you for that. You are right in assuming that I spend hours sorting through music when setting up a programme for a 'gig' despite having it all catalogued on my PC. The difficulty is making up my mind what to play and then how many books etc. to take - it is all extra 'gear' to be transported to and from the venue. From what you all say, this could be the answer.

I look forward to hearing more about this.

Regards to all.

Aud (U.K.)

#61526 - 06/27/05 10:24 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
raymb1 Offline

Loc: Great Falls, Va
Hi All. Am new to this forum. I'm a pianist with many years experience playing jazz and standards. I bought a Musicpad Pro+ a few months ago and so far like it very much. Most players I know have a few thousand tunes commited to memory but there are hundred of thousands more to play. I have 12 fake books on a cd-rom and transferred 6 of the fake books into the MPP. I use my lap top to play midi files to accompany me and the MPP to read a chart if I need to. I could use only the lap top to do both functions but it takes up too much time between tunes. At this time there are over three thousand tunes in the MPP (really on a 512 MB flash drive). Check out the forum at www.freehandsystems.com There's a lot of info there about the nuts and bolts of the MPP. Later, Ray

[This message has been edited by raymb1 (edited 07-07-2005).]

#61527 - 06/28/05 05:49 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Mmmmm - forum must be spelt differently on that site!!!!

#61528 - 06/28/05 08:31 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
raymb1 Offline

Loc: Great Falls, Va
On the FreehandSystems home page, click on support, then support forums. Later, Ray

#61529 - 07/06/05 07:03 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
westy Offline

Loc: Manchester, UK
I have for some time used a laptop computer to display my music having converted it all to pdf files. Using this method it is possible to search for music and go back and forward using the arrow keys. It seems to me that this means that you can do most of what the music pad pro does with an ordinary PC

#61530 - 07/06/05 09:13 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
MeBob Offline

I also have experimented with using a Laptop before getting the Music Pad for my wife (who is the player in my family).
But what what she couldn't tolerate was the loading time of each selection (especially if it had multiple pages).
The MPP solves this with the proprietary software/formats. SOFTWARE is the SOLUTION. Plus it fits very nicely on any music stand, which a laptop doesn't and it is a 'Touch Screen' device, plus has an external (foot peddle) page turning capability. Personally, I think it is a reasonable price for hardware and software that 'gets the job done'. But everyone should draw their own conclusions as to the benefit to them.
P.S I'm not on the payroll of Freehand, just an enthusiastic owner/user.

#61531 - 04/09/08 10:34 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
mbmleone Offline

There is an alternative for the Music Pad Pro called MusicReader which can run on a Tablet PC, laptop or desktop computer. This digital music stand software can be downloaded from this download page .

#61532 - 04/10/08 08:27 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
UkTexan Offline

Loc: Chelmsford, Essex, UK
I have been evaluating the MusicReader software for about 10 days. There is a forum from the originators of this software and I asked if there will be a playlist facility and they have said this hopefully will be incorporated shortly. They are very open to ideas from the users and potential users of the software.
I ordered the suggested "Footime" pedal. This was ordered from Holland, paid for in dollars, and delivered from USA to UK in about 8 days. The software can be ordered as a download or posted. I haven't bought the software yet. I have the Musicpad Pro so I can compare the systems. I basically was just curious about how it compared with MPP and the usb footpedal can be used as a page turner with other pdf material. I use it on a normal laptop but it is suggested that it is used on a tablet pc. You have to Rotate the laptop so it is like a book, to read the music in letter style format (portrait). It is a fairly inexpensive way of replicating a MusicPad system and definitely worth downloading to evaluate if it would work for your needs. Hope this is helpful.
Cheers
Carol

#61533 - 04/16/08 09:38 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Fran D Offline

Loc: Aiken, SC, USA
Downloaded the alternative to MPP and it is in beta form and needs a lot of work but has possibilities. The main objection is using with a lap top, is not convenient and purchasing a decent Tablet PC runs the total cost up $2000.

I am looking into the MPP. Has anyone any suggestions where it can be purchased at the best price?

Fran in SC

#61534 - 04/17/08 07:23 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
FRAN D....

My MPP was listed in one of the forums here on SZ... The listing was under a "Buy and Sell" thread that had been posted for a few months. It is an earlier model. The price was right...about 1/3 of new cost. It came to me from a player in FL....closer to you than to me...

Your friend-of-long-standing who lives in TN, is a computer WIZARD, and a 7K player as well as my new friend, has been a wonderful help getting my MPP up and running.

I suggest you watch the forum, talk to others, browse around.... seek and you will find!

Happy Hunting!

ELIZABETH

#61535 - 04/17/08 10:15 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Bob Hendershot Offline

I'll be visiting with Fran and Marge next week. Will have the one of my MPP's with me. Will get a chance to play Fran's Yammie 900.

#61536 - 04/17/08 11:52 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Fran D Offline

Elizabeth,

I am watching all posts as an older model would suit my needs.

My good buddy Bob will spend some time next week and he will give me a good MPP walk through.

Start saving your change for next March and join us at the 5th Florida Keyboard Conference. You'll get to meet all those folks you converse with on the forum and hopefully, including the three musketeers from Britain, Bill, Roger and Peter. A remarkable threesome.

Fran in SC

#61537 - 04/18/08 07:43 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
FRAN & BOB.....

It will take a bunch more than "change" to get my MoHo all the way to FL and back at 5 mpg! Oh well, it is just money! An opportunity to meet all of you players just might be worth the costs!

By then I might even have my MPP up and running!

Have fun guys!

ELIZABETH

#61538 - 05/27/08 02:14 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
mbmleone Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by Fran D:
Downloaded the alternative to MPP and it is in beta form and needs a lot of work but has possibilities. The main objection is using with a lap top, is not convenient and purchasing a decent Tablet PC runs the total cost up $2000.

I am looking into the MPP. Has anyone any suggestions where it can be purchased at the best price?

Fran in SC

HP has a very good alternative Tablet PC which costs $1000 -$1200. It has most of the features the other Tablet PCs have. For more info see the Tablet PC comparison on the MusicReader website .

#61539 - 05/27/08 03:44 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
Fran D Offline

Thank you for your reply. I did look at the HP Tablet but have taken another route and am very happy with the results. I am using PDF 4 or 5 Pro to assemble my scanned lead sheets so they are viewed on a 17"LCD Monitor on my music stand, fed by my lap top computer.

I have a much clearer and larger picture than the MPP offers which is helpful when scanning from some fake books, and one click to change to the next song.

The cost of PDF 5 software and the 17" monitor totals $240. Seventy percent cheaper than the MPP and one hundred percent better for my needs. Many pros use a similar setup for lead sheets and some just for the lyrics.

Fran in SC

#61540 - 06/04/09 04:48 AM Re: My Review of the "Music Pad Pro"
mbmleone Offline

There is now a website with a listing of hardware ideas:
make your own electronic music stand

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online